Friday, May 20, 2011

Another Side of Me

All right, being self admittedly a little obsessive/compulsive, somewhat type A and a Gemini, I have veered off my course just slightly.  I went to Barnes and Noble with the best of intentions to purchase yet another art book-this time looking for a new Lian Quan Zhen offering.  But the allure of the cooking section was too powerful, and I ended up with two new cookbooks to add to my four hundred book (plus or minus) current collection.   One is Quick and Easy Meals by the American Heart Association, and the other is The Biggest Loser-Flavors of the World Cookbook.  I did this because I wanted some new and fresh ideas that were healthy and calorie/portion conscious to help my husband maintain his weight.

About four years ago my husband lost about 85 pounds using the Sonoma Diet which stresses whole grains and portion control using local Sonoma County products that are similar to those of the Mediterranean.  You still can have just about anything you want to eat, but the amounts are closely monitored.  He never felt hungry while on the diet, and he has been able to maintain his weight since the initial loss.  After a while, though you need more ideas, and it makes you look at old favorite recipes in a new way.  I have all the best cookbooks that are available, and I love to adjust the recipes by Julia, Ina, Jacques, Giada and so on, but sometimes it is nice to have a new cookbook that you can just cook from without changing a thing.  I can't wait to try some of these new ideas.

Okay the art has not been forgotten.  I am still reading Edgar Whitney, and I have started a painting using matte medium and tissue paper.  It is actually starting to come together the way I was  hoping, and when I am finished I will post a picture.  The painting is another version of my peony bowl, Buddha and some persimmons, and I do like the way it is going.  So now you have a better idea of how my mind works-kind of in many directions.....

No comments:

Post a Comment