Wednesday, August 10, 2011

I have a question!

In my last post I related the fact that I had gotten two 4th place ribbons and one 1st place ribbon at our local County Fair.  I was pleased with a 4th place on my first ever entry in the abstract category, and thrilled with the 1st place ribbon for my still life.  But here is my question:

What is wrong with this painting???



This painting has been to several "rodeos" as they say, and has either not been juried into a show or has not received an award.  I know that I am prejudiced, after all it is my own work, but I think it is really a nice painting.  Apparently I am the only one who thinks this although my husband did voice that opinion, but of course there again we see a bit of prejudice.

I guess it will always come down to one simple fact:  every painting has a judge who will like it, but not every judge will like every painting.  I know of artists who enter one painting year after year to try to get some kind of positive feedback, and some of those artists who are persistent enough do reach that goal.

I was going to retire this painting from the rigors of competition, but something is telling me that I just need to find the right judge.  Wish us luck!!

No comments:

Post a Comment